Aug 24, 2019
I. INTRODUCTION TO EDUCATION
Satisfy the requirements of Gateway I
- receive a positive recommendation encouraging continuation in the program
- earn a cumulative GPA of 2.75
- select education and liberal arts faculty advisors
- identify a liberal arts major
- make progress toward completion of the General Education program
- pass the Praxis Core Academic Skills Test for Educators or meet the alternative requirements
II. MASTERING CONTENT KNOWLEDGE
Complete a Major and the General Education requirements
Students seeking Secondary Education Licensure must select one of these majors: Art, Biology, Economics, Environmental Studies, Geography, Geology, History, Literature, Mathematics, Spanish, Environmental Studies, Psychology (Major-by-Contract), Sociology (Major-by-Contract), Social Studies, or Women's & Gender Studies.
Complete a minimum of 5 Pedagogy Lab credits
Pedagogy labs are courses of varied credits that are often connected to selected liberal arts courses. The labs provide prospective teachers with a series of opportunities to develop pedagogical content knowledge expected of exemplary teachers. Students seeking Secondary Education Licensure must complete at least four lab credits in subjects directly related to their major.
Complete 1 of these courses:
Satisfy the requirements of Gateway II
- pass the first portion of the electronic portfolio
- earn a cumulative GPA of 3.0 in education, including a 3.0 in their major and a 3.0 in their Pedagogy Labs
- pass Praxis II
- receive a recommendation from members of their education and major faculty team to continue in the teacher education program
III. HONING PEDAGOGICAL EXPERTISE
To be recommended for licensure the student must:
- Complete all university and departmental course requirements.
- Pass the Praxis Core Academic Skills Test for Educators and the Praxis II examination.
- Exemplify in conduct and attitude the maturity, judgment, ethical standards, and dedication expected in the teaching profession.
- Receive a grade of "B" or better in EDU 4871, EDU 4872 and a "Pass" in EDU 4720.
- Complete all coursework with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 and a GPA of 3.0 in Education courses.
Middle Grades Endorsement
Students seeking Secondary Licensure may add a Middle Grades Endorsement by taking four extra courses that provide expertise on teaching students in grades 5-9. (Click here for details.) (Note that the four courses can be woven through the eight semesters of undergraduate coursework but may require students to take an additional semester to finish.)
Special Education Endorsement
Students seeking Secondary Licensure may also add an Endorsement in Special Education by taking four extra courses that provide expertise on teaching students with disabilities. (Click here for details.) (Note that the four courses can be woven through the eight semesters of undergraduate coursework but may require students to take an additional semester to finish.)