Apr 25, 2019
Students completing their baccalaureate degree in Music will:
- Demonstrate technical proficiency and artistry on their primary instrument or voice.
- Effectively teach music in a variety of areas such as applied instruction, classroom
- education and ensemble direction.
- Understand music in depth through the study of music literature, history, theory and research.
- Enrich their community through music performance, education and/or scholarly activity.
Music Education Majors must complete the BA.MUS requirements , and complete the following courses with a grade of "C" or better:
Complete all of these courses (39 cr):
And, in consultation with a music education advisor, complete 3 of the following courses (6 cr):
And complete one of the following courses (3 cr):
Credits required for the major: 48 (BM in Music Education) + 49 (BA in Music) = 97 cr
And complete the University's Gen Ed requirements
Review the Gen Ed requirements.
To be accepted into Student Teaching, the student must:
- Achieve an overall GPA of 3.0; or written certification of intellectual competence by an academic dean.
- Complete all Music and Music Education coursework; or obtain permission of the supervising music education faculty.
- Complete the Music Education Application to Student Teach form.
- Pass the Praxis Core Academic Skills Test for Educators and appropriate Praxis II examinations before teaching.
NOTE: The State of Vermont may require a specific Praxis II music test in the future (currently either of the two music education exams is accepted).
- Complete a minimum of 60 scheduled hours of field experience through related course work.
NOTE: A student may be denied admission to student teach if, in the professional judgment of the music education faculty, the student does not possess the maturity, judgment, ethical standards, and dedication expected in the teaching profession.
To be recommended for licensure the student must:
- Complete all university and departmental course requirements.
- Pass the Praxis Core Academic Skills Test for Educators and the Praxis II examination.
- Exemplify in conduct and attitude the maturity, judgment, ethical standards, and dedication expected in the teaching profession.
- Receive a grade of "B" or better in Student Teaching I, II, and Student Teaching Seminar.
- Complete all coursework with a cumulative GPA of 3.0
NOTE: A student may be advised to discontinue the student teaching experience at any time if, in the professional judgment of the university supervisor, the director of field experience and cooperating teacher, the student does not possess the attitudes and competencies noted above.