Students are responsible for familiarizing themselves with the definition of residency, fee descriptions, payments and refund policies that are detailed in this catalog.
Tuition charges are set each year by the Vermont State Colleges Board of Trustees. Graduate tuition and fees depend upon the number of credits for which a student wishes to enroll:
- No student may enroll for more than 12 graduate credits in a given term without the written permission of both the department chair in which the program is housed and the academic dean. An individual who is permitted to take 13-15 credits must pay a per-credit overload fee.
- Under no circumstances may a student enroll in more than 15 graduate credits in a given term.
Single Semester Graduate Rates (Summer 2022/ Fall 2022/ Spring 2023)
Students are charged on a per-credit basis:
|Tuition per credit
|Tech/Resource Fee per credit*
|TOTAL PER CREDIT:
*The Technology Fee is used to maintain the university's technological infrastructure.
Matriculated grad students will be charged a Tuition Fee and a Technology Fee per credit with no cap, plus any course fees.
Non-matriculated graduate students will be charges a Tuition Fee per credit with no cap, plus any course fees.
Castleton does not send out paper bills. Students can view their bill online by logging into the Portal/Web Services.
- Personal Payment: Cash, check, money order. (MasterCard, Visa, Discover, American Express online only with a convenience fee added.)
- Financial Aid, Military Benefits (restrictions apply)
- Monthly Payment Plan available online only
- Third-party payment: If a student's employer is paying for the student's tuition, a Purchase Order is required.
- Non-matriculated students must pay at the time of registration or submit the P.O. to cover the cost.
Questions? Contact Financial & Registration Services: 802-468-6070 or firstname.lastname@example.org
****RATES SUBJECT to CHANGE****
- If a class is dropped after the first two weeks of classes, there will be no adjustment to the tuition account. If classes are added, the tuition account will be adjusted accordingly.
- Late Degree Application Fee: $20 (appl. deadline is May 1, Aug 1, or Dec 1 a year prior to graduation)
- International Students: add $100 International Fee per semester
- Graduation Fee: $125 (charged to all graduating students, whether or not they attend commencement)
- Transcripts: $7.50 each
- Grad Application Fee: $40
- Students who register a vehicle: $81 Registration Fee per vehicle
Castleton reserves the right to void all registrations for which satisfactory financial arrangements are not made or honored. All past due balances may be subject to late fees if not paid by the due date. Any balance not paid may also be subject to collection costs, including attorney's fees, and other costs and charges necessary for the collection of the account.
Late fees may be assessed on any student account over $200 if not paid by the due date. The following are established rates that will be charged on a monthly basis until the end of the semester:
- balances from $200 to $2,000 will be charged $50 monthly
- balances from $2,001 to $5,000 will be charged $100 monthly
- balances from $5,001 and up will be charged $200 monthly
Student account statements will be paperless and may be viewed anytime online. An email will be sent to students' university-issued email address periodically as a reminder to view their bill. Other options available online include: making a payment, setting up authorized users (parents, e.g.) receiving refunds electronically.
Students applying for federal financial aid must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year. You may apply on‐line at www.Studentaid.gov. The Castleton University Title IV code is 003683. Matriculated graduate students who are enrolled at least half‐time (3 credits) during a regular semester or summer period are eligible to apply for assistance through the Federal Direct Loan (Unsubsidized) and the Federal Work Study programs. You are encouraged to apply as early as possible. Should you have questions about the financial aid application process please contact Financial & Registration Services at 802.468.6070 or email them at email@example.com.
Full-Time and Half-Time Status
VSCS Policy 111 states that full-time enrollment for graduate students is 6 credits and half-time enrollment for graduate students is 3 credits.
The enrollment status of a graduate student (in a matriculated or non-matriculated graduate program) is reported on a monthly basis. A student is reported as full-time if enrolled for 6 credits (per semester) and half-time if enrolled for 3 credits.
If a student is reported as enrolled as least half-time her/his federal student loans will go into deferment. Students are not required to make loan payments while in deferment but may continue to make payments if they choose to. She/he would need to contact their federal student loan servicer. This would need to be done every month as enrollment is reported each month.
Health insurance is required for students enrolled in 9 or more credits if they are not otherwise covered under a comparable plan. Because Castleton uses an opt-out system, an additional charge of $1,949 will automatically be charged to students' fall semester bills if they do not accept or decline the insurance online by the university's deadline. The annual policy renews each fall semester. If students are only full time in the spring semester, the university will add $1206 to their spring brill.
Students may be exempted from paying the insurance fee by submitting a selection form electronically through web services certifying that they are covered by a family insurance plan. The deadline for the Fall 2022 semester is September 30. If students are only full time for the Spring 2023 semester, they should submit their selection form by February 15. Insurance brochures are available online from the Financial & Registration Services website.
We welcome international students on our campus. International students must give evidence of levels of formal preparation equivalent to those already described. Proficiency in English at a level appropriate for graduate coursework and research is required. Those who are not native speakers of English must submit results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) unless they have completed undergraduate degrees in the United States.
Before we can process an application for admission we must have assurance that the personal needs of that student will be met as well as the financial obligations to the institution of approximately $30,000 a year.
- Students must provide a financial statement demonstrating their ability to finance their total cost of attendance. (all funds must be in U.S. dollars)
- IELTS/TOEFL is required if English is not your first language. This can be taken in place of SAT/ACT
- All documents must be in English
- All foreign transcripts must be evaluated by an accredited service
The international student policy regarding financial arrangements does not apply to Canadian citizens.
Students dropping a Castleton University summer course prior to the 13.33% class duration point will receive a full refund/billing adjustment for the cost of that course. Once the 13.33% point is met, there will be no refunds issued.
Tuition Payments by Third Party/Employer
If an employer or other third party is covering the cost of a student's tuition, or tuition and fees, a purchase order must be presented to Financial & Registration Services at the time of registration.
Veterans: Enrollment Certification
In order to receive benefits, a veteran must be admitted to a degree program. Veterans wishing to have enrollment certification completed and transmitted to the Veterans Administration must contact the Registrar's Office at the beginning of each semester.